Saturday, February 9, 2013

Desperation by Stephen King

Tak! Stephen King's Desperation tells a fantastic tale of good vs evil, possessed desert creatures, and vengeful Chinese miners to start. Not interested yet?  Did I mention Ron Perlmen plays a murderous, psycho cop? Believe it! If I've learned anything from the great Stephen King, it's that if you think you can enjoy a cross country road trip with your loved ones, you're gonna have a bad time.  Especially if it's on a two lane highway in the middle of the desert with no reception.  And these poor travelers are no exception, as they have no earthly idea what they are in for.
As if things weren't bad enough, now you've got a decomposing cop mocking you with air quotes
OK, so Rotten Tomatoes didn't care for this movie, but these are the same people who also thought My Week With Marilyn was a delight, so take THAT how you will.  Of course, the movie adaptation of Desperation can't possibly rank up there with masterpieces such as IT, Pet Sematary, The Shining, and the first three minutes of The Stand, but it's still worth watching.  Who else but King can seriously creep me out while reaffirming my faith in God at the same time?  Any other movie with a soft spoken kid sharing words of wisdom from the Lord to down trodden adults would have me checking the channel to make sure I hadn't accidentally ended up on Lifetime, but I'm telling you: it works.  Especially when all the classic horror elements are there.  Animals acting freaky (think Hitchcock's The Birds, but replace it with wild canines), a ghost town with a fricking tumbleweed, grainy film footage, rotting corpses, dolls laying in the sand, this movie has it all!  Now I understand why my boyfriend tells me it would be a bad idea to stalk Stephen King outside his home, this man is a genius and needs his space to write!  Besides the bushes outside his house are uncomfortable.  I'm kidding Stephen King, but seriously I love you. Just saying. OK, I'll leave now.

No comments:

Post a Comment