Friday, January 25, 2013

Savages by Don Winslow

Savages by Don Winslow was a really fun read.  The characters were hilarious, the writing was quick and witty, and there was always something about to go down on the next page. 

Oh, Oliver Stone, I love you but the movie adaptation, while fun to watch, was missing a couple of elements.  Firstly, I was hoping that O would be a little less hippy and a little more dippy.  Because actress Blake Lively had put away her gossiping, traveling pants and played such a phenomenal (though small) part in The Town, I was actually pretty excited when I saw she was cast as Ophelia, the lovable derp who ate too much, shopped too much, and whose most pressing issue was typically whether or not there were batteries in her vibrator.  For example,one of my favorite parts in the book, that they ended up not including in the film, was when she and Esteban spend time bonding over reality TV while she's being held hostage.  Oh and O was supposed to have mermaids tattooed on her arm.  Just saying.
Secondly, I cannot stand this guy so everyone please stop putting him in movies.  What, is it in his contract that he has to wear that stupid hat all the time?
Thirdly, the ending ruined what was overall a decent adaptation and I wish I could have just chopped off the last ten minutes or so and left them in the desert to die like they were supposed to.


Some great moments in the movie:
  • Benicio Del Toro as Lado taking a sip of his Starbucks iced latte while dead people lay strewn around him
  • Benicio Del Toro's hair
  • Salma Hayek as Elena.  She did a fantastic job in my opinion and really sold it as the matriarch trying to prove herself as jefe in a man's game
  • Salma Hayek's hair
  • John Travolta as Dennis.  I couldn't believe how much I loved his acting skills in this movie.  Say what you will about Travolta, this guy can really play a douchebag.  Favorite quote: "You stabbed a federal agent!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment